One of the British Virgin Islands
Tortola BVI is one of the British Virgin Islands.
The island has a much laid back feel and tourist feel welcomed by
locals in their unique style. The word Tortola means "land of the turtle
doves" in Spanish.
They are located northeast of St Thomas USVI. Its Capital is Road Town on the southern shore of the island. The
area of this beautiful isle is 62 Sq Km and is made of rugged mountain
Smuggler's Cove is one of the best Beaches in Tortola
Best Beaches in Tortola
- Smuggler's Cove is one of the best beaches in the British
Virgin Islands. It featurescrystal clear waters and fine white sand. It
is ideal for swimming and sun tanning
- Long Bay Beach is a 1.6 Km long beach located east of
Smuggler’s on the west end of the island. It is easy accessible and offers
restaurant and facilities
- Apple Bay Beach is an unknown little beach where to dip in
the waters and relax while sun tanning. It is home to the Island’s Beach Bar.
- Little Apple Bay Beach is located in Little Apple Bay. It is
a great place to watch the young surfers east from here at Bomba’s Shack. Enjoy
the view of Jost Van Dyke in the distance.
Elizabeth Beach in Tortola is the island's widest one
- Elizabeth Beach is opposite beautiful Guana Island. It is
the widest beach in Tortola, with enough room to stretch out and enjoy the
awesome views while you work on your suntan.
- Cane Garden Bay Anchorage is for people who truly appreciate
sailing, great beaches, good restaurants, music and the ever popular beach bars.
- Brewer's Bay Beach is the beach in Tortola for snorkeling
and find huge tarpon, squid, octopus, box fish, trigger fish, loads of parrot
fish, thousands of interesting little reef dwellers and various coral
- Josiah's Bay Beach is among BVI beaches the surfer’s
paradise as soon as a north swell begins to roll. I don’t recommend swimming on
this beach because of the high waves.
Sage Mountain National Park in Tortola BVI
Attractions in Tortola BVI
- Sage Mountain National Park is about 534 m. high. Here you may organize your private picnic while enjoying the view of neighboring islands and islets.
- Full day Sailing Tour goes all the way to Peter Island or Norman Island or another tour takes you to Bath in Virgin Gorda BVI.
- Deep sea fishing - You’ll be able to rent equipment and spend a day or a half day enjoying that sport which is favorite to many visitors.
- J.R. O’Neal Botanic Gardens is a park in Road Town. It is run by local volunteers that will show you around with pleasure.
- Norman Isle lies across Drake Channel and legend says that this island was the inspiration for Stevenson’s Treasure Island at the end of the 19th Century.
- One of the most popular attractions are its white sand exotic beaches like Cane Garden Bay that besides good swimming, offers good surfing.
Marina Cay in Tortola is a heaven for Gay Travelers
Getting there by sea or by air.
Many visitors arrive to Tortola with their sailing yachts that range
from the most humble ones to exuberant big ones of the Rich and Famous.
Many charter companies will take you to Tortola BVI from any of the other islands.
You may arrive to Terrence B. Lettsome International Airport. It is
located on Beef Island connected to Tortola via the Queen Elizabeth II
Most of the schedule flights come from Puerto Rico, Antigua and St Maarten.
may come here by the Tortola Ferry coming from St Thomas USVI. They
arrives at either Road Town or the West End of the Tortola Island.
For more information visit the BVI Tourism Website
Map of Tortola in the British Virgin Islands
All courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
The resorts images are courtesy of the resorts mentioned.
From Tortola BVI go to Virgin Islands Vacations
Go to Tuchman Beaches Guide Home Page
Copyright Tuchman Beaches Guide 2010 - 2018