Decide to change scenes by visiting Malta Beaches, located in the center of the Mediterranean Sea. They are something to write home about. If you haven’t been to Malta, I recommend a visit even for a few days.
The country of Malta is a small member of the European Community and is located south of the Italian “Boot”, actually south of the island of Sicily, close to the coast of North Africa.
It is composed of three main islands, Malta, Gozo and Comino. Its capital city is Valletta.
Satellite view of the islands of Malta, Gozo and tiny Comino
Malta is located in the center of the Mediterranean
The islands feature many beautiful beaches all around their coasts.
Besides the beaches there are a few secluded and hidden coves that can be reached only by sea. The beaches are small but they are rated as some of most beautiful in the Mediterranean.
The beach season is longer than in the rest of Europe because its strategic latitude. It starts in April and ends in October. During the summer months it ranges between 22 and 35 degrees Celsius.
Malta Beaches are mostly sandy on the north coast of the island and on the west as well. The eastern coastline being made mostly of cliffs is a popular area for snorkeling and Scuba Diving and maybe some swimming.
Even though the Island of Malta is small, don’t’ think that everything is at walking distance especially in the hot summer days.
It is very easy to move around by car and reach the different beaches.
Crystal clear waters of Blue lagoon in Comino
The Best Beaches in Malta Island
• Golden Bay is located on the narrowest point of Malta, facing west. It may look rocky and hilly but a road leads down to a lovely sandy beach protected by cliffs on three sides.
The sands are golden and the waters are superb. They offer many water sports and paragliding. It also features snack bar, sun beds, tables, chairs and umbrellas. It is sometimes crowded on weekends.
• Ghajn Tuffieha is located next to Golden Bay Beach. This area is also called “The Riviera”. It attracts less people than Golden Bay because it is slightly more difficult to reach the beach. Since it is smaller it gets very crowded in summers.
• Pretty Bay Beach is on the southern part of Malta, about 10 Km from the capital city of Valletta, in a place called Birzebbuga. It is a man made beach has plenty of facilities, restaurants, kiosks and cafes.
Pretty Bay has been popular with Maltese and visitors for decades. It is a heaven for small children due to some playgrounds.
• Blue Lagoon Beach is in the small Comino Island, halfway between Gozo Island and Malta.
The waters are in a special blue that amazes its visitors, hence the name of the place Blue Lagoon.
It is not the only place to visit in Comino, but it is by far the place that attracts more people to the tiny island.
• Ġnejna Bay Beach is located on the western coast of Malta near the village of Mġarr. The beach of this bay is mostly sandy.
It features a secluded strip on the north of the beach for nude bathing. Beware, because the practice of nude bathing is technically prohibited in Malta which is a mainly Conservative Catholic country.
Ġnejna Bay Beach has a special sector on the north for nude bathing
• Paradise Bay Beach is located on the north of Malta close to Cirkewwa.
It is a popular beach for snorkeling and they evben have Diving School facilities on the beach offering PADI qualified Scuba diving instruction.
This beach favors the younger crowd and you see many parties going on weekends.
• Ramla Bay Beach is one of the most popular and beautiful beaches of the country. It is located on Gozo Island, down the hill of the village of Xaghra from where you may see the whole valley and the beach.
Ramla Bay is also called the Red Sand Beach because the reddish – golden sands which cover this beach, one quite different from the others in Gozo and Malta. It offers all kind of services, like snack bars, water sports, umbrellas and sun beds.
For more information visit the Malta Tourism Board
Ghajn Tuffieha is called the Maltese Riviera
• Mellieha Bay Beach is located on the northern part of the Island about 32 Km of Valletta.
It is clean sandy beach with shallow water making it ideal for children.
It offers an array of water sports, sun beds, umbrellas snack bars and kiosks for a great day at the beach.
Malta Beaches may be compared with the most beautiful beaches in the world. Once you visit Italy or Sicily it is just jumping to Malta. Do it and you will thank me.
The award winning Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz in Gozo Island
comino blue lagoon by erik 1980
gnejna by robin & bazylek
gozo ramla by zefram
gahn tuffieha n/a
All courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
The resorts images are courtesy of the resorts mentioned.