The Archipelago of the Azores Islands is composed of
nine islands located midway from the USA and Europe in the North Atlantic
Ocean. They were colonized by Portugal during the 1500s.
Map of the Azores nine islands
The islands are divided in three groups as you may see
in the map:
- São Jorge
- Pico Island
- Corvo Island
- Flores Island
The "Green Island" of Sao Miguel Azores
Beaches in São
- Praia da Vinha da
Areia is a beach has a hotel and marina
- Praia de Agua de
Alto is a long and Sandy beach on the south side of the
- Mosteiros Beach is a little beach on the village of Mosteiros on the
west side of the island with a nice view. The beach is rocky.
- Praia de Santa Barbara located in the north of the island, this is the longest
sandy beach on the island. It is popular with tourists and locals alike. This
beach is just outside Ribeira Grande.
- Praia dos Moinhos is located on the north of the island at Porto
Formosa. It is a sandy beach and the location is ideal.
- Praia da Amora is located between Ponta Garca and Ribera Quente.
Praia do Fogo on the island of Sao Miguel Azores
- Praia do Fogo is located in Ribeira Quente, and the name “Fire
Beach” comes from a few hot springs below the water at low tide. It is a long
sandy beach located right in town.
- Populo Beach is located in São Roque on the south side of the
- Praia das Melicias is located next to the latter both are soft and sandy.
- Lagoa Beach is located on the south side of the island and is
very popular with locals.
- Caloura Beach
Santa Maria Azores has exotic wild beaches
It is located just 90 Km from Sao Miguel Island and is
known as the “Yellow Island”.
The combination of the green of the fields, dark ocher
of the fertile earth, and the gold of its sandy beaches and the delicacies of
the local cuisine all make this an exceptional island of the Azores.
Praia da Vitoria in Terceira on the Azores Islands
Also called the “Lilac Island” is located about 150 Km
from Sao Miguel and the second most populated island after Sao Miguel. Terceira has several options for beachgoers. The
tourists are fascinated by its natural beauty.
- Beach of Angra Heroismo is located next to the marina in the bay bearing the
same name. The waters are calm.
- Biscoitos is one the most beautiful places in the region.
- Bay of Pombas is a highly recommended beach. It is a bay with natural rocks formations.
- Silveira and its pools are a great place for a nice
swim. It features a pier that invites to jump into the waters.
- Praia da Vitoria features black sands and high water temperature.
- Quatro Ribeiras are natural Pools where you can go snorkeling
- Cinco Ribeiras, Porto Martins and Negrito
The small island of Corvo in the Azores
It is an island known as a bird watching spot since the
birds use it as a stop on the long flight from America to Europe.
It is also a popular Scuba Diving spot for the huge
amoung of Diving sites surrounding this remote island.
Swimming is also available at
- Praia da Areia
- Porto da Casa
For more information visit the Azores Tourism website
Lagoa Funda or "Deep Lagoon" on the Island of Flores, Azores
Island of Flores
The Island of Flowers near Corvo offers a few swimming
- Lajes das Flores
- Fajã Grande
- Poço do Bacalhau
- Ribeira Grande.
images for azores islands
praia fogo by jose luis avila silveira
santa maria by carlos mc de la cruz
praia vitoria by franzfoto
faial horta by salvernaz
corvo by dreizung
lagoa funda by jose luis avila silveira
sao miguel n/a
all courtesy of wikimedia commons
From Azores Islands go to Portugal Beaches
Go to Tuchman Beaches Guide Home Page
Copyright Tuchman Beaches Guide 2010 - 2018